Submitted by Bro. John T. Pond, Jr.:
The Officers and Brothers of Moses Paul Lodge #96 held a memorial service for Most Worshipful Past Grand Master Moses Paul on July 10th. Since PMWGM’s death on July 9, 1860 it had been a tradition of St Paul’s Commandery, Strafford Lodge No. 29, and after their charter, Moses Paul Lodge No. 96, to visit the gravesite and hold a memorial service every ten years. The last known service occurred in 1990. Worshipful Bro. William Carswell II, Past Master of Moses Paul Lodge brought this former tradition to the attention of the current officers of the Lodge.
After researching the format of these services, and a newspaper article provided by Worshipful James Miller, Past Master of Moses Paul Lodge #96, who was in attendance at this last known service, a complete copy of the original 1880 service was obtained.
From these records, a service using excerpts was arranged by Brother David Akridge, Moses Paul’s Historian and Junior Warden.
On the evening of July 10, 2014 the brethren of Moses Paul Lodge were assembled at Pine Hill Cemetery, in Dover NH, and as in 1880, lined up two by two to form the processional to the gravesite. Upon arriving at the site under the direction of the acting Marshal, Worshipful Donald Merserve, Past Master of Moses Paul Lodge #96 the Brethren formed a “hollow square” whereupon a wreath of acacia was adorned with pinecones, and red roses were laid at the headstone. After the laying of the wreath, a prayer was offered up by our Chaplain, Worshipful Bro. Kristopher Furtney, Past Master of Moses Paul Lodge #96. Worshipful Robert Corsetti, current Master of the Lodge, then delivered key excerpts from the 1880 and 1990 memorial services recounting PMWGM Moses Paul’s accomplishments as both a revered citizen of Dover, NH, his time as Master of Strafford Lodge #29, and as the 29th Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of New Hampshire. Upon the conclusion of Worshipful Corsetti’s remarks, the Masonic Roll was read and as the sun was setting in the west just as in 1880, Echo Taps were played. The Brethren then retired to the Lodge for reflection and collation.